After revising some information on the Internet about public transportation from Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi) to the city center, I found out that most of them are out – dated. I hope the information in this post will be helpful for any tourist in choosing a cheap and reliable airport transfer.
In May 2016, the city of Hanoi launched a new express bus line no 86 runs from Noi Bai Airport (Terminal 1 & 2) to the city center. This bus line is designated for airport transfer with lots of luggage space, information available in English and Vietnamese, etc. However, the detail about this bus line is available only in Vietnamese.
- 3 new bus stops
- New update for Terminal 2 bus stop
- New update for bus stop in the city center (only applicable to certain time due to the new launch of walking streets around the Hoan Kiem Lake)
WHAT IS EXPRESS BUS No 86?
The bus runs frequently from Noi Bai Airport to City Center and vice versa daily. The bus stands out with the color orange with info board in English and Vietnamese.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
It costs you only 30000 VND (EUR 1.2). No ticket reservation is needed. Ticket is purchased from the controller on the bus. You can pay by cash (Vietnamese currency) or any type of international card (Visa, Master)
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
With normal traffic, it takes about 55 minutes depending on where you want to get off.
WHERE CAN I CATCH THE BUS? (information is translated into English)
- From Noi Bai Airport Terminal 1 (Domestic terminal): Right outside the terminal with the orange signpost.
2. From Noi Bai Airport Terminal 2 (International terminal): Proceed to the stand no 02 outside the terminal, cross the road and the bus stop is right there. It is opposite the stand no 02.
3. List of stops
- From city center to airport: Hanoi Central Railway Station -> bus stop opposite the Melia Hotel -> Hanoi Post Office (Buu Dien Bo Ho) -> 23 Hang Tre –> Long Bien Transpoint station (E11) -> bus stop at intersection Yen Phu – Cua Bac -> bus stop at intersection Au Co – Xuan Dieu -> Au Co – Lac Long Quan (468 Au Co) –> VAECO Company –> Terminal 1 -> Terminal 2.
- From airport to city center: Terminal 1 -> Terminal 2 -> VAECO Company –> Au Co – Lac Long Quan (523 Au Co str)–> Au Co – Xuan Dieu stop -> bus stop at intersection Yen Phu – Cua Bac -> Long Bien Transpoint station -> 142 Tran Quang Khai –> Hanoi Opera House -> Hanoi Melia Hotel -> Hanoi Central Railway Station
HOW ABOUT THE TIMETABLE?
The left table is from Railway station to airport. The right table is from airport to city center
THINGS TO REMEMBER AND TIPS:
1.There is no restriction regarding baggage allowance on the bus.
2. The travel time between bus stops in the city center is only 5 – 10mins so be sure to make it on time.
3. Please avoid the “Long Bien” stop. Although I’m Vietnamese, I feel unsecured due to the complication there (lots of pickpockets).
4. Starting from 01/09/2016, because of the event “Walking around the Sword Lake” that organized by People’s Committee of Hanoi starts from 5pm – 12pm on EVERY FRIDAY, WHOLE SATURDAY and SUNDAY every week, the bus express will change also the stop. With the route from the city to the airport, the stop “Hanoi Post Office (Buu Dien Bo Ho)” will be replaced by the stop “opposite house No 6C Phan Chu Trinh (opposite the Hanoi Opera House)”. This change is applied only to those times that have been mentioned above.
The idea of writing this post came from my Finnish friend – who is now traveling across Asia alone. She finds it’s difficult to find out some information about cheap airport transfer since it is all in Vietnamese. I hope my post will be helpful for all of those who are going to or planning to visit Hanoi 🙂
The information in this post is translated into English by myself. The reference source is from https://www.facebook.com/BusExpress86/